Teodor Currentzis – Fragments Part I – “Traviata” (2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 17:07 minutes | 280 MB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © Sony Classical
The ‘Fragments’ project features a series of iconic opera scenes recorded during lockdown at musicAeterna’s home residence, Dom Radio in St Petersburg. With their signature perfectionism and dedication, Teodor Currentzis and the musicians have spent many hours rehearsing and recording in the studio in order to capture the true expressiveness of the performed masterpieces.
Each of the recorded scenes will get its own visualization by various filmmakers who will create videos that reflect the concepts behind the music.
The first recording in the series is taken from Giuseppe Verdi’s La Traviata and is made in collaboration with NOIR Films (St Petersburg), a team of video artists that specialises in experimental films and video art. Fragments Part I ‘Traviata’ will be released on December 4, 2020. The subsequent releases will be announced during 2021.
Opera is one of the most powerful genres of music in terms of its impact on the audience, and at the same time it is one of the most vulnerable. The stages of most opera houses around the world currently stand empty. However, the pandemic has highlighted the fragility that has always been an integral feature of the genre, which is dependent on a large number of people and circumstances.
Teodor Currentzis, Artistic Director of musicAeterna: This is a project that I’ve been dreaming about for a long time […] to make opera when there is plenty of time to make exactly the music I want to; to only care about the true essence of the piece and not about how to make it hectically in three days. So, we grabbed the opportunity and decided to creatively use this difficult period of time that we are all going through […] while opera houses are closed […] This seemed to be the right time to reconsider the approach of making music in a manner that would allow us to finally reach the inner layer of the musical text. This project will be a compilation of fragments, scenes from different operas. We aim to restore the wasted beauty, the abundance of flavours and colours that have been sacrificed on the altar of the mainstream and the music industry.”
1. Teodor Currentzis – Verdi: La Traviata, Act III – Preludio, scena e aria: Prelude
2. Teodor Currentzis – Verdi: La Traviata, Act III – Preludio, scena e aria: Annina?
3. Teodor Currentzis – Verdi: La Traviata, Act III – Preludio, scena e aria: Quanta Bontà… Pensate a Me Per Tempo
4. Teodor Currentzis – Verdi: La Traviata, Act III – Preludio, scena e aria: Or Fate Core
5. Teodor Currentzis – Verdi: La Traviata, Act III – Preludio, scena e aria: Teneste la Promessa…la Disfida
6. Teodor Currentzis – Verdi: La Traviata, Act III – Preludio, scena e aria: Addio, del Passato Bei Sogni Ridenti