Ted Lewis – Me and My Shadow (1965/2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/96 kHz | Time – 34:06 minutes | 538 MB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © RKO Records
American bandleader Ted Lewis presents Me and My Shadow, a legacy programme of American Songbook standards. Lewis was a popular entertainer before and after World War II, presenting a combination of jazz, comedy, and nostalgia that earned him the moniker “Mr. Entertainment”.
The title piece, “Me and My Shadow”, was one of Lewis’ signature songs, with which he frequently closed his act. Around 1928, Lewis noticed an usher named Eddie Chester mimicking his movements during his act. He hired Chester to follow him on stage as his shadow during “Me and My Shadow”. Eddie was followed by four other African-American shadows, the most famous being Charles “Snowball” Whittier, making Ted one of the first prominent white entertainers to showcase African-American performers.
01. Ted Lewis – When My Baby Smiles at Me
02. Ted Lewis – September Song
03. Ted Lewis – I’m Stepping out with a Memory Tonight
04. Ted Lewis – I’m the Medicine Man for the Blues
05. Ted Lewis – The Cop on the Beat / Me and My Shadow
06. Ted Lewis – She’s Funny That Way
07. Ted Lewis – On the Sunny Side of the Street / Just Around the Corner
08. Ted Lewis – Homemade Sunshine
09. Ted Lewis – This Old High Hat of Mine
10. Ted Lewis – Goodnight