Fourplay – The Best Of Fourplay [2020 Remastered] (1997/2020)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/192 kHz | Time – 01:07:31 minutes | 2,36 GB | Genre: Jazz
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Front Cover | © evosound
First released in 1997, The Best Of Fourplay showcases the smooth jazz supergroup’s signature style of indelible melodies, tasteful arrangements and addictive, toe-tapping grooves. Besides choice album cuts from Fourplay’s Warner Bros repertoire, the 10-track compilation includes the bands’s hit versions of Marvin Gaye’s After The Dance’, fronted by the silky-voiced El DeBarge, and the Isley Brothers ‘Between The Sheets’, featuring legendary soul singer, Chaka Khan.
The album, is released for the very first time on HIGHRESAUDIO. It was remastered using hi-resolution digital transfers from the original analog master tapes.
A smooth jazz supergroup originally comprising Bob James (Keyboards), Lee Ritenour (guitar), Nathan East (bass) and Harvey Mason (drums), Fourplay was formed in 1990 and patented an immediately identifiable pop-jazz sound with their self-titled debut album in 1991. It topped the US jazz charts and went on to sell over a million copies. Since then, the long-running group, despite a couple of line-up changes, has maintained it’s popularity and, to date, has released 14 albums, three of which went gold, and earned six Grammy nominations.
“What looked at first like a premature marketing ploy – a greatest-hits collection after only three albums? – now makes some historical sense, for founding member Lee Ritenour left the quartet not long after the CD’s release. So this is in essence a summary of Fourplay’s first edition, a collection of mildly funky, ethereally voiced selections from Fourplay, Between the Sheets, and Elixir, where Ritenour, Bob James, Nathan East, and Harvey Mason integrate their personalities into a smoothly homogenized whole. To sweeten the pot for the hardcore fans, Fourplay recorded three new tracks for the album – Stevie Wonder’s “Higher Ground” with vocals by Take 6, “4 Play and Pleasure,” and “Any Time of Day” – all fairly uneventful. The musicianship is impeccable, the production velvety, and despite the suitable-for-lovemaking-and-commuting stamp of approval, one wishes that these fine players would just cut loose and really rip once in a while.” (Richard S. Ginell, AMG)
1. Fourplay – Max-O-Man – 2020 Remastered
2. Fourplay – 101 Eastbound – 2020 Remastered
3. Fourplay – Higher Ground (feat. Take 6) – 2020 Remastered
4. Fourplay – 4 Play And Pleasure – 2020 Remastered (44.1kHz)
5. Fourplay – Chant – 2020 Remastered
6. Fourplay – After The Dance [Edit] (feat. El DeBarge) – 2020 Remastered
7. Fourplay – Bali Run – 2020 Remastered
8. Fourplay – Play Lady Play – 2020 Remastered
9. Fourplay – Between The Sheets [Edit] (feat. Chaka Khan and Nathan East) – 2020 Remastered
10. Fourplay – Amoroso – 2020 Remastered
11. Fourplay – Any Time Of Day – 2020 Remastered
12. Fourplay – Why Can’t It Wait Till Morning [Remix] (feat. Phil Collins) – 2020 Remastered (44.1kHz)
13. Fourplay – The Closer I Get To You (feat. Patti Austin and Peabo Bryson) – 2020 Remastered